Friday 4 October 2013

Why Oh Why? : Blog #141

Why Oh Why?


         Recently I watched a short film which dealt with Child Abuse. Neither did it give a solution nor did it end on a positive note. I found it to be dark! What purpose did it serve?

Why Oh Why, Dark Art, ArtWhenever I see a movie that is tragic, I think why on Earth do the directors make movies which take people to the abyss of sadness. I have nothing against depiction of  sadness in movies. They are as important and real as happiness. Neither am I demanding a world of art which is superficial and have no element of reality in it.

I have a bone to pick with those who take out the last ray of hope from a movie. Not only movies; any art form for that matter. Art forms should inspire people. They should also make people think and retrospect. But driving people down the road of despair, what good comes out of it?

       People say art is a reflection of Life. Even when we take a picture using a simple camera, we take an effort to clear the vicinity .We don’t let the mess to appear in the photograph in the name of Life-Like portrayal. Why don’t we do the same in creating an art form by avoiding the unwanted elements is all I am saying.

       The only purpose dark art can do is to remind one of the sadness one has gone through in one’s own Life. Worse, if one has lead a happy Life, a person will start imagining oneself in their shoes and invite unwanted despair.

     I see even a selfish streak in people who portray dark art. They are just exorcising their sadness at the cost of others’ happiness. Their mind space might become pristine but it does fog up others' minds. When one makes a movie dripping with hopeless melancholy or writes a story which tears one's heart away, the reader or the viewer is made to go through an experience that he/she might never need to go through in their Life. That is not a pleasant experience to leave one with.

I think dark art should remain just there – in the dark!
Arun Babu.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you except that it should remain in dark. When I go through tough times, when I cannot even make out what's wrong with me, one thing l do is watch a tragic movie. I feel i am so much blessed after finishing the movie. So that's one use I discovered...eureka!!.. Many a time it had rooted me to the ground, making lives of people close to me worth living :) - Parvathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Sethulakshmi from 5 Sundharikal that made you write this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bang on Prince...It is sethulakshmi who made me write this...was very disturbed... Thanks for reading :)

      Delete